Lithium Ion & Lithium Ion Polymer Safety and Instructions
1. NEVER allow any lithium type cell of any kind to be charged unattended. Remove the pack from the model/device and charge it in a fireproof container such as a baking dish placed on a fireproof surface such as the ground or cement, well away from flammables.
Fires from Improperly charged and failed Lithium packs are well documented. It is possible that you may do everything correctly and still be subjected to a cell failure which could result in a fire. It is possible you may make an error in charging or may charge an out of balance pack unaware. It is possible your charger will fail you. Leave nothing to chance when handling lithium cells of ANY type.
2. ONLY use proven lithium Ion and Lithium Ion Polymer chargers to charge these cells.
If you elect to use your Super Nova, your Super Turbo or any other non-lithium charger on a lithium pack you are going to ruin your pack. It is possible you’ll cause and explosion or bursting of the cell housing, it is possible you’ll also start a fire. Buy a charger with a good reputation that is designed for your application. Lithium warnings are REAL.
3. NEVER combine different brands or ratings of cells in packs.
If you put two different capacity or brands of cells together in a pack, the weaker or lower capacity cell will become fully charged (when charging as a multi cell pack) prior to the larger or stronger cell(s). The cut-off voltage will still not be reached because one cell is not full, the weaker cell will be overcharged while the charger tries to force the pack up to full voltage. This will result in a failure and destruction of the pack and possible fire.
4. BE CERTAIN that your cut off voltage is 4.2 volts per cell when charging. 1 cell cutoff is 4.2 volts, 2 cell cutoff is 8.4v, 3 cell cutoff is 12.6v, etc.
If the cutoff voltage is above 4.2V per cell then your charger will damage your cells and will be much more likely to cause a fire.
5. BALANCE AND BREAK IN: Every pack needs a break-in / balancing charge to insure that all cells are of equal voltage in the pack. A single cell charger is required to do this. If you don’t own a charger with single cell capability you need to obtain one.
6. All multi-cell series wired packs shipped from Radical RC complete with wire include a center tap. Center tap(s) are provided at each + to - cell union to allow you to access them individually for balance charging. It is EXTREMELY important all cells in a multi cell pack be in an equal state of charge. We recommended that you check the individual cell voltage regularly with a quality digital volt meter to verify all cells are of equal voltage. This helps prevent cells from being charged above 4.2 volts. For example, a 2-cell pack will be charged to a full voltage of 8.4 volts (4.2volts per cell). If one cell in the pack starts at 3 volts and one at 3.5, the ending voltage will still be 8.4 volts when the charger stops charging. However, one cell will be 4.7 volts and the weaker one will be 3.7 volts. It is likely that the 4.7 volt cell in the pack will fail; this could lead to fire, injury or death.
Below is an example drawing of a center tapped pack for individual cell charging. Note you can access either cell "A" or "B" by utilizing one wire in the main output plug and your center tap connector pin. Packs shipped from Radical RC completed with wire and shrink will have a center tap. This will appear between every cell union as a female gold pin or short section of wire with a female connector pin on the end. A 3 cell pack should have 2 taps; a 4 cell would have 3 and so on.
Use this tap frequently to check that all cells in your multi cell pack are at the same voltage. Should the pack be out of balance by .05 volts or more, you should charge the cells individually again in order to rebalance the pack. Use the same charger on exactly the same settings for each cell. Allow the pack to rest for at least 10 minutes after finishing the last cell. Check the voltage of each cell again to verify they are within .05 volts of each other prior to using the pack. An out of balance pack will eventually catch fire. Skip this important safety procedure at your own peril.
7. DO NOT discharge Lithium type cells below 3 volts per cell. Under 3 volts chemical reactions start that ruin the cells capability to store a future charge. Lithium type cells allow us to extend our projects to previously unknown capabilities. However, they must be treated with respect, care and caution at all times.
Radical RC cannot control the use, applications, care, charging and life of this product. Use of this product constitutes acceptance by the user of all risk and liability. Lithium type cells are easily damaged from misuse, which may not be detectable, so no warranty is given or implied. User accepts full responsibility for suitability, application, and use of product and any results from use or handling of product. If you are unable or not willing to accept all responsibility, please return the product immediately for a refund of your purchase price before use.